Saturday, March 18, 2017

8 - BEAU WEBB - DAY 7 - SAFETY FIRST

IS IT SAFE?


Dear Manny,
I read all your entries over and over again. You are my only link to what is normal. A friend, I guess, in a world where there are no friends...no anything... But, I am not losing hope.

"The only person you can depend on is yourself".

That is what my Grandpa used to say, and then he'd laugh, and say "So just do it!" He was always teaching me some valuable lesson. Would you like to see a picture of him?
A neighbor took this picture at some welcome wagon party. I like it. I'm 15 and here is Grandpa talking about astronomy. And we are posed outside with his prized telescope. He was an astronomy professor at the University of Windenberg.

Maybe that is why I like the outdoors so much and why I decided to go into science. Or maybe because the only person who understood me was Grandpa.  
Here is a joke for you. The reason I became a scientist specializing in Research and Development was because I felt that I never quite fit in. I would talk to people and they kind of looked at me, like...what the heck was I talking about, and they would walk away quickly or get upset. I was not too fond of being around other people, because I just felt awkward around them. I actually liked working alone, and R&D suited me very well. 

Well, I am quite alone now. The jokes on me. What I wouldn't do to talk to someone else...about anything!

But enough thinking about the past...

After yesterday's discovery that someone or something had entered my cave dwelling while I was away, I decided that I needed to think about safety. It was too dark to start on anything last night, and I knew that I couldn't really sleep, so I read my science book and came up with some ideas.

I had forgotten about the Rules of Survival because I didn't think there was anyone here. But now I had to think about safety.

I remembered seeing some items at the back of the lot...
The next day, I went about my morning routine....water my trash garden...wash up...Oh, and to answer your question on how fast my garden grows...well, when I plop some garbage down, overnight...there is a plant...look how many I have now! I actually enjoy trash gardening. It makes me happy and I find myself singing as I am watering. I am planning on planting some other items I have found.

But, first to the junk pile to do something about security.
I look at everything and see something on the ground. Just what I need! I can fasten it with some wire...and put those tubes together...and...
...Voila! My intruder alarm! If someone comes in my cave they will set it all a-jingle. That way, if I am asleep, I can hear them!

I decide to go back again for some more items I need for security. Those should work...
I scatter some gravel stones at the entrance of my cave, and that way I can also hear someone coming when they "crunch" on those stones.

But something was still missing. It still didn't look secure. I needed some type of barricade.
I go and have a look at the junk pile again and see some rusting fences...hmmmm....that might work...
It takes me hours, but I drag them over to the front of my cave and set them up against the boulders and rocks...
It's not the best, but better than before. What I need is a door, or a sliding door that I can pull back and forth when I leave and at night. Maybe I will find something when I go exploring. What do you think?
I decide to stay close to home today and explore more of the back of the property...
,,,and what a beautiful sight greets me...
I look in the water and see tons of fish...and the water is so clear...so I decide that maybe I can catch some fish for my supper...I fasten together a very rudimentary fishing rod...basically a stick with some string and a hook that I found...
I stay and fish all afternoon...and suddenly feel a tug on my line...and this is what I caught! A log! Some fisherman I am!
It is so beautiful and peaceful here. I discovered some insects...a dragonfly, I think, while I was fishing...
And look at this beautiful Monarch butterfly...

What is your home like, Manny? You said you were moving. Where do you live? What is the weather like?
I decided to take a break from fishing and I was just re-reading your letter...so, you watched a few "end of the world" movies. Maybe I should have watched more of them to be better prepared for my life here now. But you said you like history. I do, too.

"Every place, every person, and every object has a history. but not all histories are told." 

....that's my Grandpa again. What is your history, Manny? 
But, enough deep thoughts for now...back to fishing! I seem to fish all day and before I know it...
It is dark. I look up and see the moon. I think of my Grandpa then and what fun times we had looking up at the moon through his telescope...
...and right at that exact moment, I get a bite! Look at what I caught! Here we go supper!

I am going to sign off now Manny. I need to go and eat and and recharge my battery...un..t.i..l.. the ne...xt  let.ter...

Y...our friend in t...ime,
Beau

4 comments:

  1. I love Beau. :) I can identify with him a bit. He is very resourceful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for reading! Yes, he is very resourceful for sure. He puts a lot of things to good use...an expert recycler. lol

      Delete
  2. Yay for fish dinners!

    - Scribal Goddess

    ReplyDelete