Wednesday, March 1, 2017

MURKLAND - SUNDAY - CHAPTER 1

AND SO IT BEGINS


Hey good morning!  I'm Kate Sawyer.  Welcome to Murkland!

Where is Murkland you ask? Well, I didn't know either, until I saw the recruiting poster looking for volunteers to start a new life in Murkland. It used to be called Oasis Springs, but that was before...well...before the apocalypse that destroyed most of the world I live in.


Image result for post-apocalyptic volunteers wanted

The organizer was looking for sims to take part in the Murkland Starter Challenge. They needed sims who loved to make friends (that's me), and could eat just about anything and everything (again, me...well, ok, some people would call me a glutton - I do love to eat!). 

I think I should have read the contract a bit more...but, there really aren't a lot of choices in our post-apocalyptic world, so, without really thinking of what I was doing, I signed on the dotted line, and here I am. 

I'm now called a Murklander. Before we left for Murkland, we were divided into groups or factions. I belong to the Burner Faction, which is supposed to be the fun group.

This is my very first day here.  I am super excited!
When you accept the Murkland Starter Challenge, you start with the clothes on your back and $0 simoleons.  You are whisked away to a little plot of land, called the Murkland Starter.  I get to sleep in a tent.  Cool!
There's a small cooking and eating area, and a cooler stocked daily by the Murkland Mercantile Company. Free Food! Yes!
There's a fun corner where I can play games.
And the back of the lot has a gardening area, a big bonfire to dance around (Party on!), and of course, the umm...."outhouse".  Nope, no running water.  No shower. But I'm kind of used to that. 

I was given a can of deodorizing cream and I'm supposed to be trained in making more, but I have to head to Granite Falls to collect ingredients. I am not sure where Granite Falls is or how I am going to get there, but I'll figure it out.

But, first things first (searches pocket for crumpled up contract and scans it quickly)

Ah yes, one of the things I am supposed to do is grow 16 perfect trash plants from scratch. I better get started on that, although I have to admit, I have never gardened before.
Plus, I could use a snack. I decide to rummage for food from the garbage can on my lot. I get some rummaged oatmeal to eat and....
...a nice little pile of garbage.  Hmmm...that looks interesting. (reads contract further). Yep, this little pile is supposed to turn into a garbage plant. Yah, right! I decide to move it to the back of my lot for safekeeping.
Just as I am walking to the front of my lot, I see my first visitor! "Dusty Boots" is my neighbor and also a member of the Burner Faction. We become fast friends and she tells me that we can go to the Murkland Hot Springs tomorrow if I need to wash up. Because water is scarce, we're on a water conservation plan, so Monday, Wednesday and Friday are my designated "shower" days. We sit and talk for awhile and then she is off.
I turn around and see someone or something coming towards me. They look rather scary. Are they friend or are they foe? Should I stay or should I go?
Before I can decide if I should talk to them or not, they change their mind and turn around and walk the other way. Maybe this is a good thing. I will have to ask "Dusty" about them.
I don't know why I didn't notice it before, but in front of my lot, there is a HUGE box of assorted goodies. So I rummage around and find some Stink Potion. Seriously? Stink Potion? This must be the organizers' joke! I guess I will keep it, maybe someone will want it.

In the meantime, I decide to explore and collect some things. Maybe I can trade or sell them later on.(reads crumpled contract again) Oh yes, I am supposed to make $15,000 simoleons.  Ok, lots of collecting...
Flowers, herbs...
Frogs...
and more rocks...
I even find a community garden, but nothing is ripe enough to harvest.
A bridge over water..a nice place to fish. Too bad the water is too polluted to eat any of the fish you catch. But I could sell them maybe. Sure, I'll try my luck and see what I can catch!
No luck, maybe tomorrow.  Plus, it's getting dark out and I am hungry. Time to head back.
I don't want you to get too excited, but when I was cleaning up after my dinner of granola, I tripped on a hole and dropped my plate, and Yes!  Another little pile of garbage. 
I decide to see how my other pile is doing...
and it's still there...steamy and stinky...
My 1st day has already passed and this is all I have to show for it. Have to work harder on collecting tomorrow.

Before I head off to bed, I decide to do a bit of stargazing and think about my new life in Murkland.

18 comments:

  1. Cute! I like how you explained why she's there and a little background on the apocalypse. Looks like you were having fun. I see the garbage can I didn't get. So weird. Looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Rainy - thanks for reading. When I downloaded the lot, I didn't get the garbage can either. First run-through, I sold collectibles and bought one. Then I read that you had to use MOO to place the lot, so on my restart that is what I did. Still no garbage can, though, so I did a money cheat to get some money to buy a garbage can, placed the garbage can, and then went down to 0 money again. I figured I really didn't cheat, because the garbage can was SUPPOSED to be there.

      Delete
  2. Looks like Kate had a pretty good start!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice start :) She is off ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks LisaBee2 - I love your story, too :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks - let me know when you have a story and I'd love to read it,too!

      Delete
  5. Looking good there! Welcome to Murkland and great start of your adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much! Looking forward to more adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed your first chapter a lot! What a great intro to your story and to the challenge itself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for reading. I think I covered everything in the rules, but I may have missed a few things. Tried to think of a creative way that she would have landed in Murkland. Thanks again!

      Delete
  8. Ha, I didn't know we were supposed to have a trash can! XD Nice start!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meggles, thanks for reading...I just love your sim!

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Hi Brenna- thanks for much for reading! You are the star of this challenge for sure!

      Delete
  10. I am way behind on reading the Murkland stories, but I'm determined to catch up. You're off to a good start here.

    ReplyDelete